Wednesday 28 December 2011

Becoming a wife

So it's just over 6 months until I officially become a wife! I already feel / act like one but still the idea of it becoming official frightens me. I've spent 30 years with my name which I often get called as opposed to my first name and I suppose I've grown to love it. Yes, I want to have the same name as my children, the driving force for getting married but I can't help feeling that I'll lose a part of me, the silly young girl driving around in a battered Renault 5, wearing pink hats and falling asleep in lectures! Maybe I'm trying to cling onto something that I lost a long time ago.

Of course being a wife is a very grown up role. You need to be responsible for not only your own well being and feelings but also those of your husband. Yes we have children and so have something which ties us together but the reality is that if I wanted to run I could. No messy divorce, no need to tick the divorced box on any deeply intrusive forms. Instead once we're married if I decide that that little twitch he does in his sleep actually drives me to the point of wanting to kill, then there's no easy way out. Unless we went through the shame and scandal of D.I.V.O.R.C.E then I would be Mrs Twitch for the rest of my life.

The added bonus is that my married name will instantly make me stand out as Kate and Pippa are currently taking over the world. Who would have thought that the name Middleton would become so well known and on trend!


I imagine that every bride/groom to be has a moment of panic, I'm fairly certain Mr BlueSwing has had plenty. His normally results in an all day crisis session with his pals and a very sore head the next day.
So please feel free to offer any words of wisdom, get out clauses, better ideas (only joking of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment